Date: November 1, 2017
Associate Artistic Director
Part-Time, Year Round, Not Benefits Eligible.
Minimum 110 hours/month, some evenings and weekends, 3 days a week in the office (10am-4pm), the ability to do some work remotely.
Annual Salary: $15,000-$18,000
No benefits or insurance
All regular withholdings apply
This is a public-facing position. The Associate Artistic Director is a key position in the development and implementation of WAM Programming and reports to the Artistic Director. The Associate Artistic Director is in regular and frequent communication by email, phone, or in person.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Leadership role as Associate Artistic Director:
- Aid Artistic Director in planning for the future of the company
- Contribute artistic talents, as applicable (eg. direct, perform, write, design)
- Aid Artistic Director in season planning
- Aid Artistic Director in producing events
- Coordinate and manage auditions
- Coordinate production needs for special events
- Serve as the WAM leadership representative at events, as appropriate
- Any and all tasks related to curating and producing the Fresh Takes play reading series each season including:
- Program and plan FT Season
- Read and research new play scripts / playwrights
- Prep performance/rehearsal spaces
- Coordinate FT meetings
- Greet and build relationships with Patrons
- Create pre and post surveys
- Coordinate artist travel (with GM)
- Communicate with artists once ‘hired’ (with GM)
- Set up box office and front of house
- Get performance rights and book space
- Track finances and attendance (with GM)
- Negotiate contracts of plays and space (with GM)
- Collaborate with Artistic Director and General Manager
- Assist with Publicity efforts
- ‘Hire’ directors and cast FT plays with support from AD and GM
- Coordinate photographer, HM, and SM (with GM)
- Direct one FT show
- Ensure Website is up to date with FT info (with GM)
- Oversee FT volunteers
- Coordinating all WAM Theatre Education programming including:
- Work closely with Artistic Director on long term vision and goals for WAM Education
- Setting up meetings,
- Building relationships with Schools, organizations and other Education contacts
- Prepping and doing introductory workshops,
- Build relationships with other teaching artists
- Create pre and post surveys,
- Coordinate auditions,
- Planning tours
- Planning performances
- Prep curriculum and maintain an up to date database of growing WAM Education curriculum
- Teaching at least one WAM Education program per season, if applicable
- Writing Grant reports and contributing to writing Education grants for WAM Education programs in collaboration with the Philanthropy and Outreach Coordinator
- Help create and oversee yearly and long term WAM Education action plan
- Any other tasks as related to WAM Education
- General Duties
- Adhere to the WAM Theatre mission and values
- Abide by agreed upon WAM policies and procedures
- Meet all deadlines as assigned
- Be available for meetings (board, team and check ins) and events as appropriate
- Passionate about women’s issues, social justice and arts as activism
- 3-5 years of professional theatre experience
- Familiarity and experience with the Berkshire and surrounding theatre community and/or not-for-profit arts community preferred
- Energetic and outgoing with the ability to stay calm under pressure
- Hungry and eager to learn all aspects of running a theatre company
- A leader who can represent WAM at events.
- Must be motivated, highly organized, able to multi-task and detail oriented.
- Must possess excellent time management and communication skills (oral and written)
- A great sense of humour and a desire to work as valued part of a team.
- Comfort with Technology. Ease with computers and internet. Works easily with email. Familiarity or ability to learn quickly the following programs: Google Drive, Google Documents, Gmail.
- US Driver’s License and/or the ability to easily get to/from work obligations
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life experience preferred
WAM Theatre is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive working space and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin including ancestry, ethnicity, sex including pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, and transgender status, gender, disability, alienage or citizenship status, military status, including past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, actual or perceived sexual orientation.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate AAD Job Application in subject.
Deadline to apply:
November 30, 2017